Barvalipe - The 2nd Roma Pride Summer Camp - Call For Applications
Budapest, April 17, 2012 - There are 30 places available on a first come, first served basis. On Szentendre Island on the Danube bend in Hungary.
July 16-25, 2012
Application Deadline: May 8, 2012
The Open Society Roma Initiatives are pleased to announce Barvalipe: The 2nd Roma Pride Summer Camp for young Roma from Central and Eastern Europe. This 10-day international camp, held on the picturesque Szentendre Island near Budapest, intends to provide young Roma with a powerful experience and encourage them to choose to serve as role models, political leaders and civic activists able to advocate for themselves and their communities. Participants will explore the roots and future of Roma identity in a learning environment with distinguished Roma professors and civil leaders.
The 10-day camp will include a two-day study trip to the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland, where some 20,000 Roma and Sinti died at the hands of the Nazis.
For a better understanding of what Barvalipe is about, please see these two short videos about last year’s camp:
You can also read stories by the participants and one of the organizers:
Marina Vasic: http://blog.soros.org/2012/02/love-and-identity/
Ivan Dimitrov: http://blog.soros.org/2012/01/finding-my-true-identity/
Violeta Naydenova: http://blog.soros.org/2011/09/barvalipe-building-roma-pride/
- There are no special selection criteria. The rule is “first come, first served.” Participation will be offered to the first individuals who submit full applications (which include all the requested documents listed below).
- Candidates must be proficient in English, with the ability to speak, write and debate.
- Candidates must be from countries participating in the Decade of Roma Inclusion 2001–2015 (see http://www.romadecade.org/about) or from Italy, Kosovo, Moldova or Turkey.
- Priority will be given to candidates between the ages of 18 and 30.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Completed application form (see attached file)
- Essay of approximately 500 words explaining the candidate's expectations from the camp and motivation for applying
- Europass CV (The template can be downloaded at: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/hornav/Downloads/EuropassCV/CVTemplate.csp)
Please submit your application by May 8, 2012 by e-mail (email@example.com). Please include “Barvalipe: The 2nd Roma Pride Summer Camp” in the subject of your message.
COME TO EXPLORE, REMEMBER AND CELEBRATE EXPERIENCES WITH OTHER ROMA LIKE YOU!
For more information please see the attached call for applications.
Source: Open Society Foundations
|Application Form.doc||97 KB|
|Call For Applications.pdf||399.85 KB|